Thursday, January 1, 2015

Telemetry Antenna Mount

One of the other things missing from the Iris+ upgrade kit was the new Antenna mounting for the Telemetry radio.  This does a *much* better job of protecting the antenna and radio.  One of my most common issues when I first started flying was backflips while landing.  This would hit the antenna (which could only stick up).  Not only that, but the antenna was screwed directly onto the circuit board.  I had already managed to rip the antenna connector traces off of the board.  I replaced the 3DR radio with a cheap clone sold on Amazon but I wanted something better.  During my upgrade to the Iris+ motors and such I figured I would try and do this myself.  I found this cable on Amazon which has terrible shipping options but 3DR was also taking a while to ship the Iris+ kits so I went for it.  They both arrived within a day or two of each other.  Note that all of the specifics of that cable are important and I didn't find anything else on Amazon.
That is the final install in the top of the Iris.  The telemetry module is velcro'd on like the RX on the other side.  That also is *not* the 3DR module due to my original accident.
I mounted the Antenna as high as possible so it could point down and not touch even with the short legs on.  It basically dots the second 'i'.  Its important to also check the clearance by the legs as you are going and not put it *too* close to the top so you can't get it in.

Another angle for completeness.  You can also see that I started labeling the channel numbers on my telemetry radios for easy pairing.

No comments:

Post a Comment