Thursday, January 1, 2015

Iris Nexus 7 Mount

I had been flying my Iris for a bit when I decided it was really time to start mounting an Android device somehow.  I scoured over Thingiverse and found this.  Having a DX6i I checked the handle and they were the same.  I had to get the actual Nexus 7 piece printed by a friend because it was too big for my print bed.
  The mount is fantastic for keeping an eye on things and even doing some follow-me or guided modes.  I have noticed a few things.  First I often stick my phone in AP mode in my pocket so I can get maps on my Nexus 7 when I'm out in the field.  This works great except the Wifi is 2.4ghz.  I have noticed that I loose all Wifi on the tablet if the TX antenna gets too close to the back of the tablet.  I'm also fairly certain it doesn't do wonders for range.  I try to cache my maps now and keep Wifi off.  So far I've just taped the telemetry radio to the back of the mount.  It works okay, but the telemetry radio is the weakest link on the Iris so I sometimes end up holding things at awkward angles to keep signal strength up.
  The only think I don't like is that the remote no longer fits well in the padded case without a ton of disasembly.


No comments:

Post a Comment